Sunday 2 November 2008

SWOT analysis

SWOT analysis -
Strengths:
So far my, strengths in this project have been my use of materials.
In my opinion I feel that I have mastered the art of making textures and materials look fairly realistic.
A good example would be my pumpkin patch. To create the pumpkin skin, I took an image of a pumpkin of the internet and I opened it in photoshop. This allowed me to edit the skin and to make it a slightly richer colour (giving the pumpkin a less realistic look, but making it appear more as you expect a pumpkin). The same material was then applied to all the pumpkins and then each pumpkin had its material separate edited to make the patch look varied.
My other strengths in 3ds max include the use of cameras. I feel that I can change the viewpoint easy and create some unusual and exciting viewpoints. This I feel I will be able to use better when I render my final models.
Weaknesses:
My biggest weakness in 3dsMax, and the most visible is that I find it hard to work out the best way to approach creating a model. Often, I find that the easier way of creating a model is often not he most logical eg. working with a cuboid can often be easier to make obects such as arms, rather than the more obvious cylinder.
Also, I have problems occasionally changing the shape to make it into a more realistic styled shape. A good example would be that i have so far found it impossible to create a realistic looking stick to use as an arm on my snowman for the winter scene.
Opportunities:
I was introduced to a new method of creating realistic models in a recent tutorial. The method is called "bones" and involves me creating an inner structure to an object allowing me to flex the object. This method will help me overcome the stick problem mentioned above.
Threats:
The only obstacle I have come across so far that could cause me problems is that I am using a newer version of 3DSmax on my computer at home, which creates files that are not compatible with the version avaliable to me in university.

No comments: